Selecting tasks... inconsistent

I just updated, to 2.8.7, and I seem to be having difficulty selecting tasks now. When I click on a task on the left, it inconsistently “selects” the task I click (ie turns blue). It may momentarily flash blue as if GP is trying to select the task, but then the previously selected task turns blue again. And apart from this, when I click on a task-Name, it may initiate an “edit” of the task-Name even though the task itself may or may not be selected (that is, the previous task remains blue, even though I can now edit the name of the task I just clicked)

Not sure if this makes sense… (did my best. Let me know)

1 Like

I didn’t get the first part about flashing. With respect to the second, see

Regarding flashing, it’s a bit tricky to describe. Scenario: task1 is selected (blue). I click task2 with mouse. Instead of task2 turning blue permanently, it briefly turns blue, and task1 remains selected. (additionally, the task2 description/name may kick in to edit mode as per (i think, haven’t read yet) the related bug you tagged)

What operating sysrtem and appearance (in GanttProject settings) do you use?

I’m on windows7, and I used the default (I think) appearance “Plastic”

Can you maybe record a short screencast?
There were changes in the selection handling, but I tested them on a few operating systems, including Windows, and didn’t see such effects. However, it might be something in the way of your interaction with the UI which I just didn’t try.

Sure! I’ll try to get a screen cast for you tomorrow (was pulled away today). Thanks for the responsiveness as usual.

Is it the case when you edit a cell value and then click some other cell?

The issue occurs when an item is “only” selected (no editing ) and then I pick another item altogether.

Drat was again too tied up to make a video. Will try again tomorrow.

1 Like

I do have exactly the same problem here. Win10

As soon as one selects 1 item in the list and then uses Shift to select a second (for example to set a relation between both, or move both), the second item in the list switched into title modification. It takes several tries to select both while clicking at the name, or the date field of the second to select item.

It really makes it a pain to work like this.

Grabed a screen cast. where to upload?

Dear Tobias, we are discussing the issue with “flashing” selection. The issue with editign which starts on mouse click is known and easy to reproduce, see the ticket linked above. We don’t need a screencast for that, thanks.

Dmitry –

1. You were correct! On closer review, my “flashing” problem is tied to the “immediate edit” issue. It only occurs if I’ve edited the currently-selected task and then try to select a different task. To state more methodically:

1a. When I select a task with mouse, the task Name usually kicks into ‘edit’ mode immediately (already flagged as an issue).

1b. When I subsequently mouse-select another task, the ‘flashing’ issue occurs

… If I hit escape before step “1b” this sometimes results in successful “unediting” the current task, so that I can successfully mouse-select a different task.

In the video at time…

@4.3s: I select task 1087 successfully (this was after selecting task1077 and hitting escape)

@5.0s: task 1087 automatically goes into “edit” mode

@7.3: I click task 1102, and it goes to “edit” mode while 1087 remains selected

@9.1: I click task 1077, and it goes to “edit” mode while 1087 remains selected

@10.4: I click task 1078, and “flashes” selected then 1087 becomes selected again

@13.6: I hit escape to try and “unedit” 1087

@16.0: I click task 1079 and (hurrah) I am able to select it (task 1087 is no longer selected)

Incidentally, another issue (another bug?) Is that when I hit “escape” @ 13.6, note that the Name of task 1087 goes blank. If I hit Return at that point, the Description is left blank(!). the workaround here is to hit escape a second time, and the name returns…

Hope this helps…

Forgot to attach the video. (sheesh). Here it is.

You can’t attach files when you reply by email, sorry. Also, video files are not supported here. Can you put it somewhere on Dropbox or Google Drive and give us a link?