Can't open application

(James haug) #1

I try to open the application for the first time but I get the command “Unable to load java runtime environment”.

(Dmitry Barashev) #2

Please install Java Runtime. You can download Java from https://java.com

(Igor Almeida) #3

I’m experiencing this problem with GanttProject 2.8.9 after I updated my MacOS to Mojave.
I have java installed in my machine, and it was working just fine before the system update.
Suggestions?

Java environment:
java version “10.0.1” 2018-04-17
Java™ SE Runtime Environment 18.3 (build 10.0.1+10)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM 18.3 (build 10.0.1+10, mixed mode)

(Dmitry Barashev) #4

How did you install Java 10 on macOS and how do you get this information about Java environment on your Mac?

(Igor Almeida) #5

Java got updated automatically.
I checked the version by typing “java -version” in the terminal

(Dmitry Barashev) #6

What these commands:
which java

and

/usr/libexec/java_home -V

tell you?

(Mc) #7

I have the same issue. Gantt project used to work fine, now I get the “Unable to load Java Runtime Environment”.

My setup is:

macOS Mojave 10.14.1 (18B75)

java --version

java 10.0.2 2018-07-17
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 18.3 (build 10.0.2+13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 18.3 (build 10.0.2+13, mixed mode)

which java

/usr/bin/java

/usr/libexec/java_home -V

Matching Java Virtual Machines (1):
    10.0.2, x86_64:	"Java SE 10.0.2"	/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-10.0.2.jdk/Contents/Home

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-10.0.2.jdk/Contents/Home

(Dmitry Barashev) #8

Can you try running ZIP distro? Since you can launch java from the terminal, it must be enough to unzip it and run ganttproject.sh or ganttproject.command from the distro.

(Mc) #9

Thanks for the prompt reply, Dmitry.
I downloaded the ZIP distro, double-clicking on gantproject or gantproject.command opens the app successfully (of course, it also opens a terminal window, which is distracting).

(Dmitry Barashev) #10

Cool, thanks. Can you try running Java launcher from the terminal as well and post what it outputs? It should look like this:

/Volumes/GanttProject\ 2.8.9/Contents/MacOS/JavaAppLauncher

provided that GanttProject dmg is mounted as volume.

(Mc) #11

If I just run in terminal:
/Volumes/GanttProject\ 2.8.9/GanttProject.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaAppLauncher

I get no terminal output. Terminal is blocked until I click the “OK” in the error popup, then the app terminates, and no output is shown in between.

(Dmitry Barashev) #12

Do you mean, you still get “Unable to load Java Runtime Environment” popup? Finally, what if you explicitly set
export JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-10.0.2.jdk/Contents/Home before running JavaappLauncher?

(Mc) #13

Yes, I get the “unable to load Java Runtime Environment”.
Even with the export command, same result.