Critical Path- change color and/or pattern

I can toggle between “Show Critical Path” and “Hide Critical Path” with no trouble. What I can’t seem to find is how to change the color and/or the pattern of the critical path. It is currently a hashed pattern when I make the critical path visible, I’d like to change it to red.

1 Like

It is not configurable, sorry (unless you change the source code and rebuild GanttProject)

1 Like

Ten4. Thank you for the quick response.

I have the same request, it would be nice to change the colors in the preferences settings.

Best regards,
Laurent

Well, now I have a different problem with the critical path. I’ve built a project and I swear when I left work last night I could toggle the critical path on and off. I come in this morning and when I try to show/hide the critical path it just changes the color of the “Final Completion” milestone. Any ideas?

Please share the project file.

Never mind. I just needed to add a predecessor to make my milestones part of the critical path again. I don’t recall having to tie a milestone to the project at all in other scheduling software. My mistake.

Leesburg schedule.gan (23.5 KB)

Gosh, OK, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong now. I’m back to not being able to show the critical path. it just toggles the Substantial Completion milestone.

GanttProject uses the definition of the critical path as “the longest path consisting of tasks with zero float”, where “zero float” means that a task can’t be delayed without changing the project end date. Due to early start in your final milestone all tasks before have non-zero float, and basically the only task with zero float is that milestone itself.

This is not to say that GanttProject understanding of critical path is absolutely right, but this explains the issue.

I did just confirm this. I had my Substantial Completion milestone and my Final Completion milestone both set with an “Earliest begin” date. (Since these dates are fixed dates in our contract and I don’t want them changing). But that seems to be messing up my ability to show my critical path.

Is there another way to accomplish what I am trying to do? I don’t even care if these two milestones are even tied to the project at all. I just need to show November 5th and December 5th as important dates.

It seems that the only viable solution is to add those dates to the project calendar as neutral dates and assign some color.

I have added a new enhancement request to the issue tracker: https://github.com/bardsoftware/ganttproject/issues/1501

Can you describe how to add a date as a “neutral date”

Project > Properties > Calendar > One-off > Add (enter date) > Type (choose neutral)

That is actually a great workaround for my application. Thank you for all of your help with this.

A post was split to a new topic: Giu Pels: critical path