Knowledge Base: if GanttProject won't launch after installing a new update

We have a few reports about the issue with launching GP 3.0 where it starts and hangs at the splash image (other symptoms are also possible)

This may be caused by a missing update which was skipped. Unfortunately, due to a bug in the update system, the update which was skipped won’t be install afterwards, even if subsequent updates depend on it.

Updates location on disk

The workaround which fixes such issues is to remove all installed updates from disk. Normally the updates sit in the folder ~/.ganttproject.d/updates in the user’s home folder.

Removing the updates

On macOS and Linux, one can remove the updates by running the following command in Terminal:

rm -rf ~/.ganttproject.d/updates

On Windows one can find and remove .ganttproject.d. folder in the user’s home folder using their favorite file manager. The user home folder on the modern Windows systems is normally C:\Users\<your user name here>.
Please pay attention to the leading dot in the folder name. Some file managers may hide such folders.

What’s next

After removing the updates, launch GP 3.0 and let it install all updates. This should fix the issue.

3 Likes

It did happen, and solution works.
Thanks Dimitri.

Happened to me too.
Maybe related: After every update installation it asks for reboot and then hangs at the splash screen.
Closing the application / splash screen and then restarting starts GP correctly with the correctly installed update.

then hangs at the splash screen

That’s strange. In my tests it either restarts successfully or won’t restart at all (seems to be an issue in DEB distro). What OS are you using?

Win 10 Pro.
I see this behavior since the auto update is available. It never correctly restarted after an update.

1 Like

Happened to me on Ubuntu 20.04 even after the command, I also had to de-activate automatic updates and launch all updates from the settings tab.
Thanks for the workaround anyway !