Oh No! Lost my file!

GanttProject sometimes crashes if I do a copy/paste of a task. Usually I can recover it. Today not.

Weeks of work is gone. Buried. I had only one backup, and GanttProject has lost it. It says “Something went wrong.” all the task id’s were not found.

How unfortunate. Does Dmitry or anyone have any ideas? Are there autosave files?? I searched and could not find them.

I’m in Ubuntu 18.04 bionic and the latest GanttProject.

I downloaded an early save from my cloud storage Maga.

It would be helpful to know how to enable autosave.

Files which are used for undo (this is not exactly auto-save, but they are written on every undoable action) sit in your system temporary folder (e.g. on Linux it is /tmp). There is a built-in option to recover from these files: Help > Recover... which interactively reads them from the most recent to the least recent one. However, before recovering I would examine them using any text editor and would save somewhere to not-so-temporary folder either all of them or the one which looks promising. Otherwise, they are deleted automatically after one or two GanttProject restarts.

Downloading old saves from Maga is the way to go. There is something weird, moi drug, in the way GanttProject works because it spontaneously corrupts the entire file if the operator does something quite normal, I think it’s copy and indent, I’m trying to remember.

We’ll appreciate if you send to us a reproducible scenario or at least the log file. If you received “something went wrong” message then there must be a log file in ~/.ganttproject.d folder, and it may have information which might be helpful even when there is no easy way to reproduce the crash.

Log (150.7 KB)

I think it corrupted after I saw this “TreeTableNode” warning. Then all the tasks went to zero.

Thank you Dmitry, you are very helpful!
AT

It seems that it happened when you clicked Undo (or hit Ctrl+Z). Is it true?

I think so I am not 100 percent certain.