Too many temporary files

I’m running 2.8.11 on Linux, and I see that /tmp is littered with auto save files. I don’t see any controls to disable/delete them. A previous issue I could find has been closed.

Am I missing something?

We’re sorry if it causes any troubles, but these files in /tmp i) provide undo-redo functions, which is essential feature and ii) allow for recovery in case of crashes.
We do run cleanup code when GanttProject starts (there is some logic which keeps the recent files for recovery purposes). If you don’t restart GanttProject, they are not deleted.
You can just run rm /tmp/*.gan to delete all these files. Also, on some Linux systems /tmp is cleaned up automatically on reboot.

Thanks for your reply. I can live with temporary files, or can clean up manually.

Since you mention automatic cleanup upon restart: isn’t there a race condition where a restarted instance deletes temporary files from an already-running instance?

I’ve a suggestion, though: the temporary files could be created under a sub-directory rather than right at the root of /tmp.

isn’t there a race condition

In some cases, yes.
We do not remove auto-save files with modification time greater than the max(modification,access) time of the options file. GanttProject reads the options file on start and writes on quit, so it is possible that if you have two instances and restart one of them, it will remove some of the auto-save files produced by another one. However, in case when you have one instance and just start another one, it will keep auto-saves of the former (they will have greater modification time than the options file access time)