Cannot add columns (grey custom fields)

Hi folks! first of all thanks a lot for this software which I have used on different ocassions since most than 10 years

well I have found this upleasant bug in ganttproject-2.8.11-r2396
it happens:
on a win7 pc w/ java 8 update 131
on a win10 pc w/ java 8 update 231

the problem is that customs fields are fully blocked

…as you can see in the picture

I am surprised no one else has raised this issue

what would you reckon is going on?

thanks!

Gray color in this dialog means that column is hidden. Click “Mostrar selection” (show selection) to make the selection, well, shown.

Column properties (name, type etc) are always disabled for the predefied columns. Coordinator is a pre-defined column.

Custom fields are not “blocked”. If you add a custom field (click “Add” button), you can edit its properties.

This is admittedly not the best UX in the world, we will surely change it.

lol, now it all makes sense!, no bug at all!

I did not get the translation there,
maybe I could suggest using “habilitar campo” or even better "habilitar campo seleccionado " wich means “enable field”/ “enable selected field”. I think it’s more precise than current caption that says “show selection” (¿?), which I think is contradictory because the selected field is already being
automatically shown/ displayed in the right side of the window

all the best!

It is not “enable”. It is “show”. If you click this button, the selected column(s) will be shown in the task table.

well I see we use different semantics but it no big deal.

I’ll explain for me to “enable” means “activate a functionality” (and it implies it will add it / show it on the tasks list).

But “to show” to me only means just to display on the screen (as that is already being performed on this windows… but granted, it not being shown in tasks list). As you can always watch/see something in the screen that is not active / enabled (namely a column in the tasks list)

cheers

cheers

The meaning of “enabled” in the user interface is very concrete: if some element is enabled, you can invoke actions on it. If it is not enabled (disabled), you can’t. The problems of this dialog are:

• list elements which look like disabled actually are not, and you can invoke some actions on them
  • some UI controls are really disabled no matter how list elements look like

If we just change the button text, it will not be better and may become even worse, because “enable” may sound like, well, make enabled in this dialog, that is, turn black, enable property edit controls, etc. (and all that actually does not happen when you click this button).

This dialog just needs to be refactored, so that list elements which look like disabled, in user interface understanding, actually were disabled, and there was a different way to see if they are visible in the table and change their visibility.

right, then we seem to be on the same page on the meanings; but further details and actions of such fields are beyond me, so my interpretation was not correct. thank you for your great support