Create a custom calendar

Hi, (sorry for my English, I’m french)
Do you know if there is an easy way to create an custom Ganttproject calendar file ?
I’ve tried to export an .xls file to .xml (and change to .calendar) with Excel (with the developement menu but the xml format of the ganttproject’s calendar file are not reconize).
I know that I can use a text editor to copy and edit an original calendar file but I am looking for a tool for students to create their own calendar from excel for example.
I don’t know if it’s possible…
Otherwise, do you know how do the GanttProject’s .calendar files are wrap ?
Thanks !

Excel is not the calendar software, is it?
Copying and editing .calendar file is the easiest way, actually, if you want to have your own calendar on your machine. However, if what you need is a “template project” for students with it own calendar, then just create an empty project, define the holidays using Project > Properties > Calendar, save the project and use it as a template.

You can also try importing ICS files, this is known to work. It creates a calendar in a single project though, equivalent to adding holidays through Project > Properties > Calendar

1 Like

Alright, thanks for your response. I will do what you suggest!
I will come back to you if needed

It works for me. I just download ics file and imported.

Hi
I made a copy of a calendar, edited the header and the dates and placed it in the folder.
After restarting GP I still can’t see it.

I assume date details are not important
The header is like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<calendar id=“el” name=“Greek Islands & National Holidays 2024-2025” type=“country”
(end bracket > I can’t write the end bracket in the code it confuses the chat box)

and I gave a unique file name:
i18n_el_greek_island.calendar

Can you tell what’s wrong

Please share the calendar file.

1 Like

i18n_el_greek_island.zip (676 Bytes)

Maybe the problem is in naming the file or the folder where it needs to be?

Ampersand needs to be written as &amp;:

<calendar id=“el” name=“Greek Islands &amp; National Holidays 2024-2025” type=“country”>

but that would appear in the error log if the file was read.

and placed it in the folder.

What is the folder you placed the file in?

C:\Program Files (x86)\GanttProject-3.2\plugins\base\biz.ganttproject.app.localization\resources\calendars
and
C:\Program Files (x86)\GanttProject-3.2\plugins\update-3245\biz.ganttproject.app.localization\resources\calendars

I tried both the above

I also replaced the “&” with “-”

Dmitry hi,
I located the issue. The calendars were being called from a different folder altogether, not under the program file path C:\Program Files (x86)\GanttProject-3.2\plugins
but under a user path
C:\Users\cs.ganttproject.d\updates\update-3246\biz.ganttproject.app.localization\resources\calendars

1 Like

Yes, I just started writing if you have any newer update installed.

1 Like

So all newer updates are installed on user level, by default?
Can I delete older settings safely, or best leave as is?

Old settings? If you meant “previous versions” then I would suggest leaving them as is, because maintenance updates are partial and include only the required modules.