Cut and Paste features (v 2.8.6)

The copy and paste feature is very useful. I have a couple questions. When copying tasks, for example to a different or new project, the Resources attached to the tasks do not copy. Also, when I copy the Resources Chart, the names get prefixed with “Copy_” which I can’t seem to remove with any of the Edit settings options. I am looking for a way to excerpt a section of a large project (that contains predefined resources), work on that part separately, and then reintegrate with the large project.

Cross-project clipboard will certainly be improved in the major updates. GP 2.8.6 added just basic functionality which required little testing and no localization.

Resource copy pattern can technically be changed, but there is no UI and it requires editing localization files inside GanttProject installation. If you’re using English interface language then you need to open file
plugins-2.8.6/ganttproject/data/resources/language/i18n.properties in any text editor, find line which loks like resource.copy.prefix = {0}_{1} and change it to e.g. resource.copy.prefix = {1} to remove Copy_ prefix. Save, restart, etc.

Thanks Dmitry. Your prescription does remove the _Copy prefix, so it acts now like the Task copy. Now if the tasks would also copy resources (or at least link to ones that were already copied over), I would have exactly what I want! I understand new features take time to roll-out. I’m just offering encouragement.

P.S. Tip for Windows folks: first open application like WordPad (or equivalent) with right click Run as Administrator, then browse to the file, edit and re-save. Otherwise if you open directly, even if you have admin privileges, Windows won’t let you save back into the directory.