Export gantt over multiple pages in pdf

When I export to pdf my gantt is scrunched up on page, like this,

Is it possible to display the gantt so that it takes up the width of the page, and extends over multiple pages so that it is legible?

Regards,
Rupert

1 Like

Choose A0 paper size and tile the result with PDF tiling tools (e.g. Adobe Reader can do tiling)

I saw a post on that, isn’t that for printing?
in the pdf it is still on one page.

Do you mean that you need the same PDF, but with multiple pages, and don’t need to print it?

GanttProject always produces chart on a single PDF page, sorry. You can still use bigger page size and tile the result using tiling tools, but that certainly makes the process of building the result PDF way more annoying.

I have submitted a new enhancement request to the tracker: https://github.com/bardsoftware/ganttproject/issues/1642

Yes, to share the pdf. Thanks.

I might try printing to a pdf file, but the tiling just reduces the size as far as I can see.

You need to export from GanttProject using A0 paper size, open it in Reader and then tile. I don’t think that you need to change the tile scale.

Here is help topic on Adobe website: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/print-posters-banners-acrobat-reader.html

Dmitry, I think you are missing the point. The question is, why does the chart not span over the width of the media instead of truncated half way? It is as if the Landscape mode is not working.

It is not truncated. It is just tall, rather than wide, and if we want to keep the aspect ratio, it occupies the full height of the page and half width.

The questions was how to spread it over multiple pages vertically, so that it took e.g. 2 pages vertically and one horizontally. The answer was to print it on a bigger media format (e.g. A0) and than tile.

Thank you for the reply but how does one tile?

There is a link above to a web page on Adobe site which explains how to print posters in Adobe Reader:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/print-posters-banners-acrobat-reader.html

Thanks for the link but I don’t think that’s it. I think what Rupert Young meant is why the chart does not span to the right edge of the paper just like so,

This is the result of exporting to A1 Landscape.

I think it looks exactly like this in GanttProject Desktop. With this zooming and this number of tasks and durations, the aspect ratio is like 1:2. It is tall, it is not wide. Zoom in to make the chart wider and occupy more horizontal space. Or choose portrait orientation to match the page aspect ratio with the chart.

Here is how tall image looks on A4 landscape when aspect ratio is preserved

Here is how it looks if scaled horizontally ignoring the aspect ratio

Here is the same image tiled on 1x4 landscape A4 pages using this great online tool

I think I got it,

It seems, one has to adjust the chart width through Print Preview before exporting to PDF. It took a lot of experiment and it is far from perfect but at least, the output looks acceptable. More work needs to be done in the coding of this nice app.

1 Like