GanttProject doesn't start on Fedora 33 (KDE)

I’ve downloaded GanttProject (the .zip file) and tried to run it on Fedora 33 (KDE). It just doesn’t start and it’s process stays opened, needing to be killed afterwards.

Although the ~/.ganttproject.d is created there are no files in either the logs or updates folders. I’ve tried running it through the terminal to see if it would spit some kind of information to search for the problem, but it doesn’t.

Using Oracle’s JRE, version 15.0.1+9-18

I’m stuck. Can anyone help me?

Please install BellSoft Liberica Java Runtime version 11, Full JRE edition.

I’d really prefer avoiding installing a completely new JRE to be able to run one single software… Isn’t there any other solution?

GanttProject requires JavaFX libraries. They are platform-dependent, that’s why they are not bundled with ZIP archive. They are not included into Java Runtime from OpenJDK and I am almost certain that they are not included into JRE from Oracle either.

You can try installing openjfx package. If it is available from your repositories and if it configures itself so that JavaFX libraries get into the classpath, you’re lucky. We don’t test such configurations and just recommend using a Java Runtime which is known to be working.

PS: Dedicated runtime per application is quite common solution now, by the way. Many apps bring the runtime with them, be it Java Runtime or Electron (Chromium browser+nodejs+whatever). GanttProject is no exception: installers for Windows and macOS are bundled with JRE.

1 Like