Insert new main task

Hi, I was able to create three main tasks with subtasks. No problem.
Now I want to create a fourth main task and the entry keeps showing up as a subtask. The icon that allows me to move the task to the left is not highlighted.

How do I create a new main task given this situation?
Thanks.

GanttProject creates a new task as a sibling of the currently selected task, as demonstrated on this screencast:

ezgif.com-gif-maker

Dmitry,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that IF I want new task as a sibling task, I go to the selected task and create a subtask.

However, I cannot get the app to allow me to create a new Main Task. I begain the project by listing three main tasks, the put subtasks below each main task. How do I create a new main task? I want “Create Update for Foundation’s Trustee Development Committee to be a main task, not a subtask.

Thanks.

I found what I was doing wrong. It looked like several Main Tasks were subtasks, but they are not, so the error is mine!

Select “Articulate interests…” tasks and create a new one, This is exactly what is shown on the screencast above, unless I don;t understand what do you mean by “main task”.

I understand that IF I want new task as a sibling task, I go to the selected task and create a subtask.

I probably was not completely clear. New task is created on the same level with the selected task. If your selected task is a top-level task, you create a new top-level task. If your selected task is a child of some summary task, you create the new child of the same summary task.

You may also just unindent the new task using Shift+Tab or unindent buttons above the task table.