Resource total cost is 0

Good morning,
I have assigned to some task the relevant duration, cost (assigned, not calculated; standard rate=0) and resource, but in the resources chart the total cost is 0.
Best regards
Fausto Corsi

So what is the issue?

Good morning,
i.e. resource

• MESTRONI: total load = 10 days, total cost =0,
  • relevant activitiy (FASE 1 - PRE - Delimitazioni interne): duration 10 days, cost = 11.370

cost null.pdf (339,6 KB)

What’s wrong with that? If you set zero payment rate, it means that you don’t pay anything to your resources => their cost is 0.

Ok, clear.
I try to better specify my question.
If I know the total cost of an activity (i.e. “FASE 1 - PRE - Delimitazioni interne”=11.370, lump-sum) and this activity is realized only by a specific resource (i.e. the resource named “MESTRONI”), how could I assign this cost to this resource?
Please note that in this case the cost of the activity is independent from the time, so I can’t use the formula total cost/total duration to estimate a specific cost, because every time I change the duration, I should also change the specific cost.

I see. It is not possible at the moment. I submitted a new enhancement request to the issue tracker:

Hello. Same issue for me.
In most cases in my way of work, project management of building construction, the contracts for tasks have a lump sum, agreed in contract. In most cases of contractors, day rate is not important (and if it takes less or more days it does not influence the total contractual cost, on the client side - though obviously it would influence the expenses of the sub-contractor)
I need a way to archive cost and report it.
I see that the issue in github is not fixed? Any workaround at the moment please?
(The progress is defined by stages in the contract related to actual “proof” on the ground, rather than a linear progress in time.)

Furthermore a lump sum set explicitly under task properties

will appear in the task list in the “Cost” column in the Gantt chart

but won’t show in the Resources chart, under the “Total cost” column, of the task or the resource total

Task cost which is set explicitly is, well, a cost of a task, no matter if there are any resources or not. That’s why it is not in the resource table.

But there is a resource assignment and the resource will cost the project that much for this task.
Obviously if I did not assign they would not be related.
I don’t have the same understanding for this one, are you sure in principle you are correct?

In the current GanttProject “explicit cost” of a task is a cost of the whole task, no matter if it has any resources attached or not. E.g. you may have expenses other than (human) resources.

I don’t see any point in discussing the semantics which is already in place. There is a bug tracker ticket which addresses the issue formulated by @fausto.corsi , hopefully it will be resolved at some moment.

Semantics Dmitry are the heart of the algorithms driving the mechanics of software, specifically in “project management” there are ways of doing things.
Now I may be wrong in my way and yours may be the industry/textbook way of doing a resource chart, that would be a considerate response from you, in my opinion.
Consider the possibility you are wrong and dismissive…
You have my gratitude and support for your software it would be nice if you considered my “semantics”.
Good day

1 Like

I don;t get your point, sorry.

We have an “explicitly set” task cost in GanttProjec. It works the way it works. You may not like it and you may think it should work some other way, because you have a problem which you cannot solve using the current GanttProject features. That’s okay, but does it mean that we shall immediately change the semantics of the existing feature which has been in use for years? Probably not, because there are other users who may rely on the way it works now.

Does it mean that I don’t understand your needs? Absolutely no. As I said, the described issue is addressed in the linked ticket. Chances are that it will be solved at some moment in the future.

If you just want to hear that you’re right: yes, you’re right and I am wrong, sorry.

Dmitry, I understand GanttProject is a small project that does a lot for a small price for me and free for many others, as such I understand limitations.
What I still do not understand is whether you think it is a needed feature or my personal error of thinking about project management - that is what I want to hear.
Beyond that obviously you and your team set priorities to feature requests
(I can’t conceive how it would hurt users btw)

Well, the current GP approach seems not to be that way, in my understanding. You can have cost to a task with no resource.

1 Like

That GP can do this and that it does not sum up the costs of tasks set up explicitly by resource, at the moment, is clear.
My question is whether in the field of PM summing lump sums of tasks by resource is a common feature, as it is useful for me, or is it not common and my peculiarity.
I’ll wait and see, it’s not … on my critical path :wink:

In my case, I do use it, for assign an ESTIMATED (high level) cost to a task without a defined resource cost. Hope this helps.