Silent install options

Hi,

I didn’t find docs about silent install options. I mean a way to give answers to questions asked by installer on setup with the gui.
I’d like to automatically block updates notifications on software startup for all users (classrooms, the users can’t do that).
I remote silently install ganttproject on PCs, so I’d like to add an option to installer command line. Il there is a conf file I can modify after install, it’s OK for me too

Thanks
Regards
E.T.

Installer for Windows (I assume you’re talking about Windows) is built with NSIS and supports NSIS options for the silent install.

GanttProject config file is named .ganttproject and GanttProject expects to find it in the user’s home directory. It is an XML file which you can edit in any text editor. You can make your own template and put it into user’s home directories when you install GP.

With respect to disabling auto-update, see this discussion: Need to disable the GanttProject 3.1.3100 update window

OK,

Thanks for your answer.
When I tried to install gantt with GUI, it asked during installation if I want updates to be proposed. I guessed there should be a place where this choice is saved to avoid the update window to launch at startup for all users.
It’s usefull for me, because I don’t want users to install new versions, especially in their own account. I manage automatic updates by myself, after validating. This is how system-managers always work on professional/educational PCs. This is a condition to ensure PCs in a classroom are OK, and all students work on the same version (which is important, for exams, for example).

If not possible, I’ll keep this update window, but it’s really not a safe way for me.

Regards
E.T.

if I want updates to be proposed

We have no such option in the installer. Are you sure that you executed the original installer, downloaded from https://ganttproject.biz (and not from any other website)?

If not possible, I’ll keep this update window, but it’s really not a safe way for me.

Please do read the discussion which I mentioned above: Need to disable the GanttProject 3.1.3100 update window

OK,

I red the link in your first post.
I understand it’s not possible to disable this screen for all users.
In a future release, this could be nice to get this functionality (but I guess you probably have more urgent things to fix/enhance :wink: )

Thanks for your answers (and your work on this software, really appreciated by teachers).

Regards
E.T.

It seems that there’s a misunderstanding. It is possible to configure GanttProject so that the update window is not shown automatically, and this reply explains how: Need to disable the GanttProject 3.1.3100 update window - #4 by DmitryBarashev

It won’t prevent users from installing the updates manually if they wish. But they won’t see the update dialog by default.

Also, you can configure the update URL, so that GanttProject searched for updates on your own server (it is mentioned in this reply: Need to disable the GanttProject 3.1.3100 update window - #10 by DmitryBarashev)