Sort by date is causing issues

(Lukasz Arendt) #1

Sometimes I accidentally sort by date and it messes up all my items that I had in a certain order. I can use the undo function if I catch this but if I don’t I have to manual resort all the items. Any way to undo this feature? or is there a workaround?

(Dmitry Barashev) #2

You need to click the column header to trigger sorting on. When you click, you see the tasks reordered and see the arrow which indicates sorting close to the mouse pointer. Undo works fine and reverts tasks reordering.

All that said, I agree that one can accidentally click the header and miss the changes. We’ll think what we can do with that.

(Dmitry Barashev) #3

Just in case if you’re facing the issue right now and need to get back the order of dozens of tasks, you may try using Help->Recover. It scans auto-save files in reverse chronological order (least recent goes first) and asks if you want to read the file into GanttProject. Chances are that you will find an auto-save with the project data right before you sorted the tasks

Created a Gantt saved it but now file is corrupted

A potential solution here - and a nice feature to have anyway - is to enable sorting on Outline Number. I added the column to my default view and assumed that it would be possible to sort on this column. Unfortunately not :frowning:

Scrap my previous suggestion… just realised that the outline number automatically changes as tasks are re-ordered. Doh.

(David Rubin) #6

Would enabling sorting by ID fix this issue? In any case, I’m having the same problem.

(Dmitry Barashev) #7

The same workaround for restoring the order: use Undo if you didn’t close GanttProject or Help>Recover if you did.

ID are pretty meaningless and change pretty often when task structure changes.