MacOS Monterey et puce M1 max

Hello,
I work with a Macbook pro M1 max
GanttProject is in version 3.2.3230
GanttProject is a great software which was very satisfactory on Mac intel
On Mac M1, all functions are catastrophically slow.
What procedure or loop can slow down the software so much?
Thank you for your help

Sincerely
Christian VANELLE
Architect DPLG

We don’t know the reasons why GP becomes slow on some macOS systems. We have seen a couple of reports about lags on M1, but it is not clear if they are actually caused by M1 or by something else (e.g. screen): Gantt software started lagging while using Apple M1

We also tested GanttProject on M1 laptops which we could find and it worked fine.

One possible workaround which might help is to install a Java Runtime for M1 chip and test if GanttProject ZIP distribution works fine with it. I suggested doing this at the end of this topic: Gantt software started lagging while using Apple M1 - #15 by DmitryBarashev but I didn’t receive any response from the topic author, so I can’t claim that it fixes the issue,

Hello,
There must indeed be a display problem, because in the absence of any task on the screen, the calendar is remarkably fluid in X and Y
As soon as a task appears on the screen, everything is jerky, almost frozen
I changed the screen settings, to no avail
This is at least a research track
Kind regards
Christian VANELLE
Architect DPLG
06-11-98-70-03

Can you please share the project file?

Hello Mr.Barashev,

To follow your advice, I started by installing: bellsoft-jdk18.0.1+12-macos-aarch64, … without any result unfortunately

Attached is one of the files concerned

Thank you for your help and your feedback

Kind regards

Christian VANELLE
Architect DPLG
06-11-98-70-03

Planning SGC ROCROI.gan (26.9 KB)

The file looks good.

To follow your advice, I started by installing: bellsoft-jdk18.0.1+12-macos-aarch64,

You don’t want Java 18, you want Java 11. You don’t need jdk, you need JRE. And you need “full”, not the standard. Here is the link: https://download.bell-sw.com/java/11.0.15.1+2/bellsoft-jre11.0.15.1+2-macos-aarch64-full.dmg

without any result unfortunately

Did you run GanttProject from ZIP distro?

Thanks for the good link

I didn’t see a “ZIP distro” file on the GanttProject site from which I do all updates.

Where to find this distro ZIP that seems so important?

So the solution seems to be getting very close

Kind regards

Christian VANELLE
Architect DPLG
06-11-98-70-03

Where to find this distro ZIP that seems so important?

So the solution seems to be getting very close

For the record, running GP with Java Runtime for M1 may or may not solve the issue. No guarantees, no promises.

Hello,

It doesn’t work, it’s even worse!

Apple has abandoned Java for Metal, isn’t there a Metal emulator to solve this problem?

Is it possible that GanttProject will one day be compatible with ARM chips, which seem to be becoming more common in the Mac and PC world?

What would be, in your opinion, the good plan B to get out of this impasse that is closing in on us day after day?

Kind regards

Christian VANELLE
Architect DPLG
06-11-98-70-03

What exactly doesn’t work or is even worse?

MBarashev,

I started by downloading :
https://download.bell-sw.com/java/11.0.15.1+2/bellsoft-jre11.0.15.1+2-macos-aarch64-full.dmg
following your enlightened advice, having high hopes on this external contribution
The result was not what I expected: X and Y movements are still very fluid if there is no task on the screen, but the screen freezes as soon as a task appears.
What is going on in the display that is causing such extreme consequences?

Kind regards

Christian VANELLE
Architect DPLG
06-11-98-70-03

So, you only downloaded the Java Runtime? Did you install GanttProject ZIP distro?

Good evening Mr. Barashev,

If I understood correctly, I only did half of the work.
At first, I downloaded GanttProject from macOS obviously, but it seems that it is not the good plan, it was necessary to pass by ZIP to download a virgin version of any runtime then … but that, it is done

OK but in this ZIP folder, there is only a GanttProject for PC

Should I use a paid ZIP to get a blank GanttProject for Mac?

Kind regards

Sincerely

Christian VANELLE
Architect DPLG
06-11-98-70-03

There’s ganttproject.command, it is a shell script for macOS

Hello Mr.BARASHEV,

I have a problem, SAFARI does not want to open GanttProject.command, “because this application comes from an unidentified developer”!

What can we do?

Thank you very much

Christian VANELLE
Architect DPLG
06-11-98-70-03

You don’t need to open it in Safari.
Open your Terminal window, change the directory to the place where you unpacked the ZIP file (provided that it sits in Downloads, run this:

cd ~/Downloads/ganttproject-3.2.3240

and then run

chmod 755 ./ganttproject.command && ./ganttproject.command

Some brief instructions are here: Installing from ZIP · bardsoftware/ganttproject Wiki · GitHub

Hello Mr. BARASHEV,

Please find attached the wording of the Terminal

The situation has not changed, the movements are still as long and jerky.
Maybe a clue: the multicoloured wheel, sign of activities, appears during a movement request, proof of an intense calculation, but which one ???
GanttProject seems to get its feet wet … as they say in France

Have you considered using GanttProject natively for the M1 chips or any other arrangement so as not to lose this great work

Yours faithfully

Christian VANELLE
Architect DPLG
06-11-98-70-03

Some brief instructions are here: Installing from ZIP · bardsoftware/ganttproject Wiki · GitHub

Okay, so what is written in the log? The log file location is printed in the last line of the output.

Have you considered using GanttProject natively for the M1 chips

What do you mean? GanttProject is written in Java, there is no native code in GanttProject. It works fine on all platforms with appropriate Java Runtime, except for some issues on some M1 systems (there are users who run GP on M1 without any issues, no matter if they use a “native” runtime for M1 or a “legacy” runtime for Intel chips)

We’re trying to find out what is wrong with those M1 systems where GP is slow. For this purpose I need someone who has these issues and who can help with debugging. Currently you’re playing this role, and thanks for that!

Good evening Mr BARASHEV,

Please find attached the two log files found at the indicated address.

With kind regards

Christian VANELLE
Architect DPLG
06-11-98-70-03

java1.log (3.67 KB)

java0.log (863 KB)