READ ME FIRST. FAQ and Search

You’re welcome to ask any questions about GanttProject here, but we strongly recommend to read the FAQ and search before asking. This may really help you to get the answer faster.

Search

To search this site, click search icon in the top-right corner or type search keywords on the search page.

Many questions were asked in the issue tracker. You can use our Google Custom Search to search all relevant pages.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is it possible to use hours as task duration?

No. In GanttProject tasks are measured in days, sorry.

How to change week numbering?

GanttProject uses calendar settings corresponding to the chosen interface language. Switching interface language to e.g. French will start Week 1 in 2016 on Jan 4. If you’re using English interface language then you can choose between English US (it is just “English” in GanttProject settings) and start Week 1 on December 28 (correct for US) and English (United Kingdom) which follows European standards.

Where can I find a user guide or manual?

We have no user guides or manuals, sorry. Instead, we can offer you an application which is so easy to use that needs no manuals, provided that you don’t need guidance in project scheduling per se. If you still need to see how to do the basic actions, consider watching one of the awesome video tutorials contributed by volunteers.

Some of the tricky bits and rough corners are documented at http://docs.ganttproject.biz

Can GanttProject do resource leveling?

No.

I can’t change the dates of my tasks!

Usually it means that either there is a dependency between your tasks and GanttProject is just doing its job and is trying to make your constraints happy. Please read the article “GanttProject Scheduler Explained” which may help you to understand what exactly forbids dates change.

I changed one configuration option and now I can’t use the application.

The easiest way is to remove a settings file. GanttProject keeps the configuration options in a file named .ganttproject in a user’s home directory. A home directory on Windows is usually c:\Users\<your user name here>. Notice the leading dot in the file name. Some file managers may hide such files.

Linux and macOS users can remove the settings file using this command in Terminal window:

rm ~/.ganttproject

If you don’t find the answer in the article and believe that there is nothing in your data which prevents tasks from being moved, please submit a new ticket to the issue tracker, supply a reproducible scenario and attach an example project file.

2 Likes